Welcome to our Christmas *** SUPER QUIZ ***
The Quiz 4 FREE network would like to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas.
This Christmas Special is in four parts, one from each of our quiz writers, myself, Jim Ackroyd; Bill Turnbull; Shane Barr and Bob Curtis (Mobocurt).
May I say thank you to all our visitors for using Quiz4free and making our efforts worthwhile.
You can use this Christmas Special however you like, e.g. pick & mix, taking questions from various parts of the special or perhaps taking several questions from each of the four segments to give you a four round Christmas Quiz.
Whatever you decide, enjoy our Christmas *** SUPER QUIZ ***
Part 1 by Jim Ackroyd
1. In Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol”, what was the name of Scrooge’s late partner? – Jacob Marley
2. What did Frosty The Snowman have for a nose? – A button!
3. Which Christmas carol includes the words ‘…To save us all from Satan’s power, when we were gone astray..’? – God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
4. In what year did the Queen deliver her first ‘TV’ Christmas message? – 1957
5. Who invented the ‘Christmas Cracker’ in 1847? – Tom Smith
6. What’s the name given to the period leading up to Christmas? – Advent
7. Who were the first to visit the baby Jesus, (A) Three Wise Men or (B) The Shepherds? – (B) The Shepherds
8. Which of Santa’s reindeer is named after a mythical god of love? – Cupid
9. What was the Christmas No. 1 song in the year 2000? – Bob the Builder – “Can We Fix It?” (3 weeks at No. 1)
10. If you received all the gifts from ‘The Twelve Days of Christmas’, how many would you get? – 364
11. From which film does the song ‘White Christmas’ come? – Holiday Inn
12. Which actor played Scrooge in the Muppets Christmas Carol in 1992? – Michael Caine
13. Which country gave ‘The Statue of Liberty’ to the United States of America as a Christmas gift in 1886? – France
14. What was Mr Bean looking for when he got his head stuck inside the turkey? – His watch!
15. In which town was Jesus born? – Bethlehem
16. According to the Bible, what Angel visited Mary? – The Angel Gabriel
17. In what year was the original ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas’ by Band-Aid, a Christmas No.1? 1984
18. What name do the Scots give to ‘New Years Eve’? – Hogmanay
19. On what date is St Stephen’s Day celebrated? – 26th December (Boxing Day)
20. What Christmas Carols chorus begins “The rising of the sun, and the running of the deer”? – The Holly and the Ivy
Part 2 by Bill Turnbull
1. What is the flavour of the jam usually used to fix marzipan to a Christmas cake? Apricot
2. What does Christmas actually mean? Christ’s Mass
3. Who had a U.K. No 1 in the 50’s with Christmas Alphabet? Dickie Valentine
4. Which famous English scientist was born on Christmas day 1642? Isaac Newton
5. What do the French call Christmas? Noel
6. Which Norwegian city presents London with a Christmas tree every year? Oslo
7. At which royal house does the Royal Family usually spend Christmas? Sandringham
8. What is the natural life-span of a turkey that evades the oven? Twelve years
9. Cliff Richard has had two Christmas number ones before his Millennium Prayer. A point for each one? Saviour’s Day and Mistletoe and Wine
10. Which country distribute their Christmas presents from a large crock called The Urn of Fate on Christmas Eve? Italy
11. In which country did the custom of Christmas trees begin? Germany
12. What was the surname of Tiny Tim in Dickens A Christmas Carol? Cratchit
13. What fruit sauce is traditionally served with turkey? Cranberry
14. In Crossroads who put a fairy on top of the Christmas tree and was never seen again? Benny
15. In the song the Twelve Days of Christmas how many birds are there? Twenty three A partridge, 2 Turtle doves, 3 French hens, 4 Calling birds, 6 Geese and 7 Swans
16. Good King Wenceslas was king of which country? Bohemia (accept Czechoslovakia)
17. Who had a U.K. No 1 in the 80’s with Do They Know it’s? Christmas Band Aid
18. What are Smith’s Bon Bons known as now? Christmas crackers
19. What is the correct term used for carving a turkey? Cut up
20. Which monarch made the first Christmas Day speech on radio? King George V
21. Who had a U.K. No 1 in the 70’s with Lonely this Christmas? Mud
22. Which English county is the biggest producer of turkeys? Norfolk
23. Who introduced the Christmas tree to this country? Prince Albert
24. The name of which herb is used as a magic word in a Christmas pantomime? Sesame
25. The custom of putting a holly wreath on the front door at Christmas comes from which country? U.S.A.
26. Which comedian used to send Christmas cards in June? W.C. Fields
27. What is the more common name of the Christmas hymn Adeste Fidelis? O Come All Ye Faithful
28. What place got it’s name because Vasco da Gama sighted it on Christmas day? Natal
29. In which film was the song White Christmas first sang? Holiday Inn
30. Why is the robin often depicted on Christmas cards? Legend has it that a robin tried to ease the crown of thorns from Christ’s forehead
1. Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean is a dependency of which country? Australia
2. Which Jewish festival coincides with Christmas? Chanukah
3. What is a turkey’s furcula? Wishbone
Part 3 by Shane Barr
1) What did Germans make the first artificial Christmas tree out of?
DYED GOOSE FEATHERS.
2) What are the three traditional colours of Christmas?
RED, GREEN, GOLD.
3) How long usually is a Christmas tree grown for before it is sold?
4) What do Bolivians believe was the first animal to announce the birth of Jesus?
5) Why are spiders and spiders webs popular Christmas decorations in Poland?
ACCORDING TO LEGEND A SPIDER WOVE THE FIRST BLANKET FOR JESUS.
6) What was the first American State to recognise Christmas in 1836?
7) Mistletoe is from the Anglo Saxon word ‘Mistletan’, what does it mean?
LITTLE DUNG TWIG. ( the plant is spread through bird droppings).
8) Which ancient people believe the Mistletoe to be sacred?
9) What native plant of Mexico and cultivated by the Aztecs is popular at Christmas?
10) Santa Claus is based on a real person who is he?
ST NIKOLAS OF MYRA.
11) Who outlawed Christmas Celebrations and Carols in England from 1649-1660?
12) Which American President banned Christmas trees from the White House in 1912?
13) What is Christmas Eve called in Germany?
14) What were the earliest known Christmas tree decorations?
15) Carols began as an old English Custom called what, which was toasting your neighbours to a long life?
16) Before Turkey What was the traditional meal in England?
A PIGS HEAD AND MUSTARD.
17) Kissing under the Mistletoe is thought to have come from which Norse Goddess of Love?
18) On what day do the Greeks celebrate Christmas?
JANUARY 7th ( according to the old Julian Calender)
19) Many parts of the Christmas tree can be eaten, the needles are a good source of what vitamin?
20) What was the first Christmas song to be broadcast from Space in 1965?
21) What planet do astronomers believe may have been the Star of Bethlehem?
22) Since 1947 which Norwegian city has been supplying London with a Christmas Tree?
23) Sweet maker Tom Smith created the first Christmas Cracker in what year?
24) What is the best selling Christmas single of all time?
WHITE CHRISTMAS BY BING CROSBY.
25) From what ancient people does the act of hanging Christmas presents on the tree derive from?
Part 4 by Bob Curtis
1. Which act has had more Christmas number one singles than any other?
The Beatles (4)
2. According to the song “Frosty The Snowman”, what were Frosty’s eyes made out of?
3. Which Christmas song won an Oscar for Best Song at the 1942 Academy Awards?
4. The first line of the song “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” by Band Aid was originally intended for which singer, who finally got to sing it during Live Aid?
5. Which Christmas song includes the line “It seems so long since I could say ‘sister Susie sitting on a thistle'”?
All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth
6. In 1965, which Christmas song became the first song to be broadcast from outer space?
7. In 1987, the Pogues featuring Kirsty MacColl were denied a Christmas Number One with the song “Fairytale Of New York”. Which song kept them at number 2 with Pogues singer Shane McGowan saying “we were beaten by two queens and a drum machine”?
“Always On My Mind” (by The Pet Shop Boys)
8. From which animated short film does the song “Walking In The Air” come?
9. In the song “Twelve Days Of Christmas”, what are there 11 of?
10. In 1986, whose song was Christmas number one in the UK, 2 years after he had died?
Jackie Wilson’s (Reet Petite)
CHRISTMAS IN THE MOVIES
1. Which film includes the line “Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.”?
Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves
2. In which film does Jim Carrey play the character of Lloyd Christmas?
Dumb And Dumber
3. Which Oscar winning actor played Scrooge in the film “The Muppet Christmas Carol”?
4. Which film, set around Christmas time, features a creature called a Mogwai?
5. What is the name of the character played by James Stewart in the film “It’s A Wonderful Life”?
6. What was the profession of Bill Murray’s character in the film “Scrooged”? A scriptwriter, a TV executive or a weatherman?
7. Which film includes the lines “Will you please tell Santa that instead of presents this year, I just want my family back. No toys, nothing but Peter, Kate, Buzz, Megan, Linnie and Jeff. And my aunt and my cousins. And if he has time, my Uncle Frank. Okay?”
8. In which Bond film does the character Dr Christmas Jones appear, and who plays her?
The World Is Not Enough – Denise Richards
30 Question Christmas Quiz
What colour are the berries of the mistletoe plant?
How Did Darth Vader Know What Luke Skywalker Got For Christmas
A= He Felt His Presents
Ships came sailing in———————————-3
Humphrey Bogart, who was born on Christmas Day 1899, said the line “Here’s looking at you kid.” in which film; The African Queen or Casablanca ?
Which gift brought by the 3 Kings is distilled from the essence of orchids ?
Which Christmas carols contain the lines
A= O Tidings of Comfort and Joy——God Rest You Merry Gentlemen
B= No crib for a bed——————–Away in a Manger
C= When they are both full grown—–The Holly & The Ivy
In The 12 Days of Christmas, what is the only gift given that doesn’t breathe ?
A=  Gold Rings
Apart from Rudolph, (Rudolph was not one of Santa’s original reindeer he was dreamed up for an advertising stunt in the nineteen forties I think for a Marshall Ward Catalogue ad and sung by Gene Autry) which is the only one of Santa’s reindeer not to have an E in its name ?
Family Fortunes; Name Something People Do On Christmas Day
A= Open Gifts/ Go To Church/ Christmas Carols/ Eat/ Family Get Together
12 days of Christmas
Q1 What does ‘LPGA’ stand for in the world of Golf? LADIES PROFESSIONAL GOLF ASSOCIATION
Q2 Which county cricket ground can be found at St Johns Wood in London? LORDS
Q3 What was the name of the song by the British glam rock group
“T-Rex”which became their first hit single in 1970. ‘RIDE A WHITE SWAN’
Q4 What is a female budgerigar called? HEN
Q5 What family of birds are the quails a member of? THE PARTRIDGE
Q6 Which 1978 film starring Roger Moore, Richard Burton and Richard Harris, is about a group of British mercenaries in Central Africa? THE WILD GEESE
Q7 What was the nickname of the retired English international cricket umpire who was awarded the MBE in 1986? “DICKIE BIRD”
Q8 What do the rings on the Olympic flag represent? 5 CONTINENTS
Q9 What, in the Spanish language, is the name of a female that removes LECHE (lay-chay) from the mammary glands of an animal? MILKING MAID
Q10 Which Christmas Classic did David Bowie duet with Bing Crosby? LITTLE DRUMMER BOY
Q11 Originally founded in 1927 what is the name of one of the most popular single engine aircrafts of its time? THE PIPER AIRCRAFT
Q12 What was the name of the home of William Wordsworth in Grasmere from December 1799 to May 1808? DOVE COTTAGE
Anagram 14 letters/ 2 words
Cryptic; These will get the wind up A= Brussel Sprouts
Which is the only football team in the English Premiership that doesn’t have any of the letters of the name Santa in its name ?
Name any 2 of the 5 must have toys for this Christmas , according to Hamleys, the UK biggest toy store ?
A= 1. Mistletoe Bear
2. Monster High Doll
3. Moshi Monster
5.Master Moves Mickey [Mouse]
Since the “United Nations” was asked to intervene, in 1995, which Country is officially the Home of Santa Claus?
There are two ‘Christmas islands’. Name the oceans in which they are located?
A= Pacific & Indian
Name any 6 of the Fruit or Nut based ingredients of a true Christmas Cake, according to Delia Smith ? A= Currants, Raisins, Sultanas, Cherries, Orange, Lemon &, Candied Peel & Almonds
Eating Nuts at Christmas is popular, which is the fattiest nut – Roasted Cashew, Chestnut, Walnut or Peanut?
Which Star Sign covers Christmas Day?
Christmas Crackers; Finish the gags from Christmas Crackers
A= What did the reindeer say before he started his stand up comedy routine——————————This will sleigh you
B= Knock Knock, Who’s There, Hanna, Hanna who?——— Hanna Partridge in a Pear Tree
C= What do you get if you cross a skunk with a bell ?—————-Jingle Smells
Q1 Which Pantomime features the character Maid Marion? Babes in the Wood
Q2 Its name will ring a bell with members of the legal profession; in 1716 which London theatre put on England’s first pantomime ?
Lincolns Inn Theatre
Q3 In the pantomime Aladdin what was the name of Aladdin’s brother? Wishy Washy
Q4 Dressed as which pantomime villain did Leslie Grantham, allegedly, misbehave on his webcam in 2004? Captain Hook
Q5 Which pantomime character marries Alice Fitzwarren? Dick Whittington
Q6 What is the name of the father of Cinderella and The Ugly Sisters? Baron Hardup
Q7 Fe Fi Fo Fum I smell the blood of an Englishman is a classic line from which pantomime? Jack & The Beanstalk
Q8 Which traditional pantomime features a character called Dandini? Cinderella
Q9 Who was the son of Mustafa a poor tailor of China? Aladin
Which pantomime character shares their name with a brand of children’s confectionary? Buttons
According to notes left by Charles Dickens, what was the final name of the character he considered calling Little Larry, Puny Peter, and Small Sam ?
A= Tiny Tim
Which Mexican plant is called the Flower of the Holy Night?
On What Date Is Saint Stephens Day Celebrated ?
A= December 26th
What spice is included in the recipe for Eggnog ?
In the UK, with the Christmas season in mind, what is replaced annually at a rate of 3 for 1 ?
A= Christmas Trees [For every one harvested, 3 are planted by the Forestry Commission]
True or False ?
A= All of Santa’s reindeer are male !
B= Bethlehem in Hebrew, translates as “House Of Bread” !
C= The word “Mistletoe” derives from an ancient Anglo-Saxon word, that literally translates as “Dung On A Twig” !
D= In Caracas, capital of Venezuela, it is traditional for the streets to be blocked off on Christmas morning, so that the residents can roller-skate to church
Answers = False [Vixen], True, True, True
Which nursery rhyme characters favourite food was Christmas Pie ?
A= Little Jack Horner
If you attended a Swedish Christmas Party and were given “Glogg” what would you do with it; eat it or drink it ?
A= Drink it, it’s a hot spiced drink made from wine or spirit
A Sackful of Santas
1 What US state has Santa Fe as its state capital? New Mexico
2 The current image of Santa Claus as a plump man with white beard and red and white tunic dates from a 1931 Advertising campaign, for which product? Coca Cola
3 Which cartoon character has a dog called Santa’s little helper? Bart Simpson
4 Which actor plays Santa Claus in the movies The Santa Clause (1994) and The Santa Clause 2 (2002)? Tim Allen
5 What is the capital of Tenerife? Santa Cruz
6 What was the name of the flagship of Christopher Columbus during his voyage to the ‘New World’ In 1492? Santa Maria
7 In the song, Who did the Beverley Sisters see kissing Santa Claus? Mommy
8 What colour is Santa Claus belt? Black
9 Santa Barbara is located in which US State? California
Q1 What is the collective noun for a group of
Turkeys ? A Flock or Rafter
Q2 With which song did John Lennon’s Plastic Ono band have a 1969 Number 14 ? Cold Turkey
Q3 What is a baby Turkey called ? A Poult
Q4 Which berry is used as the base for a sauce served with Turkey ? Cranberry
Q5 Which country eats most Turkey per head of population – UK, Israel, France or USA? Israel
Q6 True or False/ A Turkey is a member of the same family of birds as an Ostrich ! False [Pheasant]
Q7 What is a Turkey’s FURCULA better known as? Wish Bone
Q8 What name is given to the traditional races run in the USA on Thanksgiving with the idea of working up an appetite ? Turkey Trot
Q9 What is the capital of Turkey ? Ankara
Q10 What weight (in pounds), according to the Guinness Book of Records is the heaviest Turkey ever recorded ? 86 pounds
Another 30 Question Quiz
Question 1 Which 2 items are usually found in a Christmas Cracker ?
A= Hat & Motto [Joke ]
Question 2 What two words are normally pre-printed on gift tags
A= To & From
Question 3 Name the Three Wise Men
A= Caspar, Melchior & Balthazar
Question 4 Which Christmas decoration was originally used for French Soldiers uniforms; tinsel or holly ?
Question 5 Which of Santa’s reindeer shares its name with an ex high street store?
Question 6 Which line follows ‘I’m dreaming of a White Christmas’?
A= Just like the ones I used to know
Question 7 Holly has both male and female varieties, which one produces the berries?
Question 8 Which horserace was won in 1964 by Santa Claus ?
A= The Derby
Question 9 Family Fortunes; Real or Fictional, name a famous bearded man?
A= Santa Claus / Richard Branson / Noel Edmonds / Rolf Harris / David Bellamy
Question 10 Name the Reindeer/
A= Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen
Anagram 11letters/ 1 word
C P H S E A I R A N P
Cryptic; Linked to the Sun A= Paperchains
Question 12 Which Christmas Carol mentions St Agnes’ Fountain ?
A= Good King Wenceslas
Question 13 In the film Muppet Christmas Carol, which English actor played the part of Scrooge?
A= Michael Caine
Question 14 Which TV Family have a pet dog called Santa’s Little Helper ?
A= The Simpsons
Question 15 Where does snow have to fall for there to be an official declaration of a white Christmas?
A= The roof of the Meteorological Office in London
Question 16 The Christmas story is only told in two of the gospels; which two ?
A= Matthew & Luke
Question 17 What accompanied the Queen’s Christmas speech for the first time in 1982
Question 18 In which pantomime does Widow Twankey appear ?
Question 19 Which star sign was Jesus born under ?
Question 20 Question 20 Christmas True or False Part One
1= Last year, hospitals reported 4 Broken Arms due to Christmas Cracker pulling accidents – True
2= In 1968, Apollo 9 went round the moon on Xmas Day – False (Apollo 8)
3= The Flowers of the Christmas Cactus are red – True
4= In Lome Togo, it is tradition to say ‘Merry Christmas’ to someone by head butting them on the buttocks. – True
5= There is a village in Scotland called Cold Christmas – False
6= In Victorian England, Turkeys were dressed in leather shoes — True
Question 21 The name Santa Claus is derived from which language Dutch, French, Italian or Norwegian
Question 22 Which Eastenders character married Cat Slater on Christmas day 2003?
A= Alfie Moon
Question 23 12 days of Christmas
Twelve drummers drumming,
Eleven pipers piping,
Ten lords a-leaping,
Nine ladies dancing,
Eight maids a-milking,
Seven swans a-swimming,
Six geese a-laying,
Five golden rings,
Four calling birds,
Three French hens,
Two turtle doves,
And a partridge in a pear tree!
Question 24 In Charles Dickens A Christmas carol, what was Tiny Tim’s surname ?
Question 25 Who, according to the Christmas Songs was
A= A Jolly Happy Soul—————–Frosty the Snowman
B= Didn’t play reindeer games——–Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
C= A New born king came to see—–The Little Drummer Boy
D= Ye, who sang creation’s story—–Angel’s from the Realms of Glory
E= rejoice,With heart and soul, and voice—Good Christian Men
F= asleep on the hay————————The Little Lord Jesus [Away in a manger]
G= He’s making a list————————-Santa Claus [ is coming to town]
H= Hither, page, and stand by me———–King Wenceslas
Question 26 True or False ? – Part Two
A= St Nicholas was born in Turkey !
B= There hasn’t been a White Xmas in Great Britain since 1970 !
C= In Finland Santa Claus delivers his presents riding on a donkey !
D= In Minnesota its illegal for a woman to be dressed as Santa Clause in the street!
Answers = True, True, False [ A Goat called Ukko], True
Question 27 In which month is Christmas in Australia?
Question 28 Because of Political Correctness what is the correct way to wish some one in the USA a Happy Christmas ?
A= Happy Holidays
Question 29 In which year did James Edgar become the worlds first store Santa Claus – 1890 or 1901?
Question 30 Santa’s other names; in which countries is the old bearded man known as . . . . . .
- I hope you enjoyed our Christmas *** SUPER QUIZ ***