1. Muffuletta, Baros Luca, Croque monsieur, Veda pav, Dagwood and
Shawarma are all examples of what?
2. The name of which liquid roughly translated means 'the finest'
or 'the best'?
3. What are often named after ancient middle eastern kings?
4. One quarter of all the hops in the world are grown in which
5. What did the Celts call the drink of the gods?
6. Some cocktails are poetic. What do you get if you replace the
whisky in a Rob Roy with Drambuie?
7. Who said, "no function beer well without"?
8. What is the captains reply in the song Hotel California to the
9. What is 'arachibutyrophobia'?
10. Which country consumes, per capita, the most donuts per year?
11. Which South-East Asian fruit's smell reminds people, to put it
mildly, of various stages of decay ?
12. Which citrus fruit, possibly a combination of sweet lime and
sour orange, grows predominantly in Italy and is used in Earl Grey
tea and eau de Cologne?
13. What type of food is gravadlax?
14. Aspartame is an alternative to what when added to food?
15. In which month does Beaujolais Nouveau arrive?
16. Which powder includes Turmeric, fenugreek, chillies and cumin?
17. Which country produces more than 60% of the world's olive oil?
18. How many standard wine bottles make up a Nebuchadnezzar?
19. What fruit do you get when you cross a Raspberry with an
20. What is a vitamin D deficiency called? Seven letters, fifth
letter is an 'E'
21. Which dish is made by curdling cream with wine, adding
flavouring and frothing it up?
22. What sort of fruit is a Gravenstein?
23. What traditionally forms the covering of a haggis?
24. What type of pastry is used for profiteroles?
25. In which country did the dish Chop Suey originate?
26. In an Indian restaurant, if you were served 'aloo' which
vegetable would you be eating?
27. Which liqueur is said to be made to Bonnie Prince Charlie's
28. Name an aromatic spice from a variety of ginger?
29. What is the minimum age for Scotch Whisky before it can be sold
in the UK?
30. What does 'Al dente' mean with reference to food?
and now the answers...
Quiz 31: ANSWERS:
2. Alcohol (Arabic al-kuhl).
3. Wine bottles. For example Jeroboam (3l) king of Isreal,
Rehoboam (4.5 l) King of Juda, Salmanazar (9 l) king of Assyria,
Nebukadnezar (15 l) king of Babylon.
4. Germany. In the Hollertau region of Bayern (Bavaria).
5. Med Met, Honey wine or honey beer.
6. A Robbie Burns.
7. Homer Simpson.
8. "We haven't had that spirit here since 1969".
9. The fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.
10. Canada. Canadians consume 3 times as many doughnuts per capita
16. Curry powder.
17. Spain. (Thanks to Anthony for correcting this answer)
23. Sheep's Stomach
25. The USA.
29. 3 years.
30. Pasta that is cooked and feels firm to the teeth when bitten.