Quiz 49a - Sport (Answers
1) What year were Arsenal promoted into the top division
2) Which game was invented by Dr James Naismith in 1891?
3) Which Arthur Conan Doyle character had a horse named after him and
subsequently a horse race?
4) Where is the Ailsa golf course?
5) Who has managed WBA, Man Utd, Atletico Madrid, Sheffield Wed, Villa
6) What name is given to the white ring on an archery target?
7) Who was the first unseeded man to win the Wimbledon Singles title?
8) Which golf course is the home of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club?
9) Which footballer scored in the 1958 World Cup Final when only 17
10) How many pawns are there in a game of chess?
11) Which famous annual race first took place in 1829?
12) With which sport do you associate Brian Phelps, who won a bronze
medal in 1960 Olympics?
13) Who did Virginia Wade beat in the 1977 Wimbledon Ladies Singles
14) Which British pair took gold and silver in the 800 metres at the
15) What position did Pope John Paul II play for the Polish amateur
football team Woytyla?
16) What is the maximum mark awarded by a single judge in international
ice dance competitions?
17) How long does a 15 round boxing match take to complete?
18) The All England jumping course (equestrian) is situated where?
19) Where does the Tour de France cycle race finish?
20) How many players are there in an Australian Rules football team?
3) Brigadier Gerard
5) Ron Atkinson
7) Boris Becker
8) St. Andrews
11) The Oxford Cambridge Boat
12) High Board Diving
13) Bete Stove
14) Steve Ovett and Sebastian Coe
17) 59 Minutes
Back to Series