Quiz 53 History
1. Who was king of England in the year AD1000? -
2. In which year was William Shakespeare born? -
3. 12 October, or the second Monday in October, is a
public holiday in many states of the USA. What event of 1492 does it
commemorate? - Christopher Columbus?s discovery of the New World.
4. What event of 1453 is thought to have contributed
substantially to the renaissance of learning and art in western Europe? -
The fall of Constantinople to the Turks.
5. The composer Johann Sebastian Bach and George
Frederick Handel were both born in the same year. What year was it? - 1685
6. Who compiled a book of words (published in 1852)
that were arranged according to their meanings? - Peter Mark Roget.
7. How many years after the Battle of Trafalgar did
the Battle of Waterloo take place? - 10 (1805?1815 ? strictly 9 years and
8 months, Oct 1805?June 1815).
8. What was the number of the last King Louis to be
king of France? - 18th (Louis XVIII 1814?24).
9. Who said ?When a man is tired of London, he is
tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford?? - Samuel
10. When did Adolf Hitler come to power in Germany?
11. Who became president of the United States in
1929, the year of the Wall Street Crash? - President Hoover
12. In what year did Elvis Presley first enter the
UK charts with ?Heartbreak Hotel?? - 1956
13. Which British politician won the Admiral?s Cup
in 1971 in his yacht ?Morning Cloud?? - Sir Edward Heath.
14. In which year was a British task force sent to
recover the Falkland Islands after an Argentinean invasion? - 1982
15. In which year did Tony Blair become leader of
the British Labour Party? - 1994.
16. In 1066, before the Battle of Hastings, King
Harold fought a battle that shares its name with a famous football ground.
What is it? - Stamford Bridge.
17. Who became king of England in the year AD1100? -
King Henry I
18. In what year was the Magna Carta signed by King
John? - 1215.
19. In which century was the Ming dynasty in China
conquered and succeeded by the Manchu dynasty? - The 17th century.
20. What was the first book believed to have been
printed by Johannes Gutenberg, the inventor of printing, around 1455? -