Quiz 9a - History
1. Who was Valentina Vladimirovna Tereshkova? - A Soviet cosmonaut, the
first woman to go into space.
2. Who was Michael Collins? -Irish politician and leader of Sinn Fein,
killed in 1922.
3. London's first railway terminus opened on 20th July 1837. What was
it called? - Euston.
4. In which year did Papua New Guinea become independent of Australia? -
5. Who/what was David Ben Gurion? - Zionist leader.
6. What was a clippie ? - A bus conductor
7. Who/what was Llewelyn ap Gruffydd, or Llewelyn the Great? - The last
Welsh Prince of Wales.
8. Which British national newspaper went on sale for the first time on
7th October, 1986? - The Independent.
9. When did the first election for the European Parliament take place? -
7th June, 1979.
10. The population of Malta is reputed to be descended from which
ancient people? - The Carthaginians.
11. In the Vietnam War, what was the name of the North Vietnam communist
forces? - The Vietcong.
12 Mother Teresa received the Order of Merit from whose hands in 1983? -
13. In 1886, the longest railway tunnel in Britain to date, opened. What
was its name? - The Severn.
14. Who was the Supreme Commander of the Allies at the end of World War
One? - Marshal Ferdinand Foch.
15. What flag was first adopted in Britain in 1606? - The Union Flag
(popularly called the Union Jack).
16. The Witan was the name for a parliament held by which early people
in Britain? - The Saxons.
17. Who was the first of the Plantagenet kings? - King Henry II
18. Where did Italy invade in 1935? - Ethiopia.
19. In what year did clothes rationing end? - 1949.
20. Who attended schools in Cheam, Surrey, Gordonstoun, Scotland, and
Timbertop, Australia? - Prince Charles